The Doctor of Philosophy in Civil Engineering (by research) offered at IUKL has a greater emphasis on research compared with the Master degree and is geared towards mastering Civil Engineering knowledge in preparation for a higher career development. This degree is recommended for those who expect to engage in a professional career in research, teaching or technical work of an advanced nature.
Duration of Study
Full time : 3 – 6 years
Part time : 4 – 8 years
- A Master's Degree in Civil Engineering or related fields from any Malaysian government accredited institution OR other equivalent qualifications approved by the Senate of IUKL
- For local applicants, sufficient mastery of the English language to satisfactorily complete the course
- International applicants who originate from a country where English is the native language; OR are required to have a minimum score of TOEFL 550 OR IELTS 6.0.; OR have attained a degree from a university where the medium of instruction is in English.
- To provide students with flexibility in research and develop students’ intellectual ability in specialised areas of Civil Engineering
- To equip students with advanced knowledge, tools and techniques that will support their research capability and career development
- To expose students to the research frontier in various fields of specialisation in Civil Engineering
- The research project will be guided by an appointed supervisor.
- Students will be required to attend seminars in their research area.
- Students will be required to present and defend their research proposal at the end of their first quarter of study.
- Students are required to submit monthly progress reports to their supervisors. Periodic consultations will be arranged as set by the supervisor.
- Students are required to publish at least one paper in their research area in an international journal or present at a conference.
- The Postgraduate Studies Committee will review the students’ performance on a quarterly basis.
- Upon completion of their research, students will have to present and defend their thesis.
- Construction of physical infrastructure design
- Rural and low-cost housing
- Small & medium industrial buildings
- Properties and behavior of soil and their application to design of foundation
- Retaining structures, earth dams and slopes
- Soil improvement and ground stabilization
- Soil dynamics and earthquake engineering
Highway and Pavement Engineering
- Transportation engineering and planning
- Traffic flow theory
- System management applicable to all modes with emphasis on highway and multimodal transportation
- Earthquake resistant steel and concrete design applied to buildings and bridges
- Structural dynamics
- Structural mechanics
- Finite element methods
Water Resources Engineering
- Advanced hydraulics and modern hydrologic techniques
- Flood forecasting
- Groundwater flow modeling
- Water resources management
- Policy formulation
|Total Fees (Approximate)||RM46,300.00|
|Caution Fee (Refundable)||RM1,500.00|
|International Student Administrative Fee||RM4,200.00|
|Visa Processing Fee||RM381.60/year|
|Total Fees (Approximate)||RM53,900.00|