As part of the requirements for one of the courses for students pursuing Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Hons) at IUKL, especially those in the fourth year, have to take “Engineers, Society and Sustainability” (Course Code: CIVE 4601). For this course, the students are required to attend a series of professional talks and site visits. Assessments are made by conducting short quizzes at the end of each professional talk. Students are also required to submit site visit reports.
The topics for the professional talks are chosen from the course syllabus and the speakers invited are from the industry who have the relevant experiences and exposure to the topics given.
The series of professional talks conducted in the Semester Sept/Oct 2019:
- Introduction to Professional Practices – by Ir. Dr. Yuen Choon Wah,
- Ethical Issues in Engineering – Assoc. Prof. Ir. Dr. Mohammed Alias Yusof,
- Occupational Safety & Health (OSH) Issues – Mr. Saiful Bahri bin Hasan Basri,
- Contracts and Law – Mr. Aznul Affendi bin Hasan Basri,
- Engineers and Management – Mr. Muhammad Abdul Karim bin Abdullah Gedang,
- Introduction of BIM and its Implementation in Civil Engineering – Mr. Jack Lin Wei Sheng & Mr. Muhammad Yunuss bin Sabri,
All the professional talks were conducted at Room C303, Level 3, Block 9, FEST, IUKL.
The site visit was on Tuesday 10/12/2019. Location of site, YTL Cement Construction Development Laboratory (CDL), Petaling Jaya, Selangor. Number of participants, 69 students and 4 lecturers.
The professional talks and the site visit have indeed benefited the students as it gives them exposure to engineering and real life situations. These in turn would assist them to be well prepared for the real working environment after they graduate later.