The MA TESOL programme prepares students for teaching both domestically and abroad in higher learning institutions and private schools. This programme aims to provide suitably qualified graduates who have little or no experience of English Language teaching with an opportunity to develop a deep understanding of the field of TESOL at both the theoretical and practical levels. The programme stresses the practical applications of learning and effective teaching and addresses classroom interaction, lesson planning, lesson delivery and language teaching methodology. Learning is balanced in the domains of knowledge, skills, attitude and awareness in the context of language and a disciplined reflective practice is encouraged.
Duration of Study
Full time : 1 ¼ years
Part time : 1 ½ – 2 years
- A bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, with a CGPA of 2.50 and above, as accepted by the Senate of IUKL
- Applicants not meeting CGPA of 2.50, can be accepted subject to a minimum of 5 years of working experience in relevant field
- Local applicants, sufficient mastery of the English language is required
- International applicants are required to have a minimum score of TOEFL 550 OR IELTS 6.0 OR have attained a degree from a university where the medium of instruction is the English Language
- This programme provides essential skills and knowledge to start a teaching career.
- The programme evaluates relevant pedagogical materials and assessment of TESOL in line with current developments in TESOL pedagogy.
- Students get to observe classes in session and do peer teaching.
- The faculty provides extensive support for the students through language skills enhancement workshops and forums to discuss related issues in TESOL
|Compulsory (30 credits)||
|Electives (Choose 4 - 12 Credits)||
**There are 6 elective subjects offered. Students are to choose 4 out of it. The electives are:
|EDU 5104: Classroom Observation|
|EDU 5205: Teaching Practice|
|EDU 5301: Educational Management|
|EDU 5302: Educational Statistics|
|LIT 5301: Literature in English in the TESOL Classroom|
|EDU 5403: Materials Selection and Adaptation for TESOL|
|Total Fees (Approximate)||RM22,300.00|
|Caution Fee (Refundable)||RM1,500.00|
|International Student Administrative Fee||RM4,200.00|
|Visa Processing Fee||RM381.60/year|
|Total Fees (Approximate)||RM28,700.00|